As the COVID-19 pandemic sweeps across the world, our thoughts and prayers go out to those who have been affected as tragic consequences are coming to light on every continent. With the virus spreading and more people getting infected, we are concerned about what may be in store for us in India. Apart from collective action taken by the authorities, we believe it is critical that individuals take responsibility for themselves.
The global economy is suffering as is also the wine industry. With the shutdowns in France and Italy and self-quarantining being encouraged in other countries, people are buying less wine, limiting eating out and cutting back on socializing. In fact, even En Primeur in Bordeaux which we regularly attend, was cancelled this year for the first time since the Second World War due to the pandemic.
Since your health and wellbeing is of concern to us, repeated here are some recommendations from the World Health Organization that we suggest you follow:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap
- Maintain social distancing between yourself and others
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth as much as you can
- If you have fever, cough, and difficulty breathing seek medical attention
On the bright side, this time serves as an opportunity to reconnect with your family, catch up on your reading and, of course pull the cork of the wines in your cellar that you’ve been saving for a rainy day! Time by yourself can be time well spent. As a start, to immerse yourself in the ecosystem of wine while you practice social distancing, here are some Sommelier India articles from our website to read:
- Exploring Rajasthan’s Royal Cuisine with ITC Windsor Executive Chef
- Built on Salt, Run on Wine. The history of a unique Burgundy institution
- From the Editor – 20 Wines to Try in 2020
- Malbecs Recommended by the SI/AdV Tasting Panel
- Tasting French wines at the Trident Hotel in Mumbai
We hope you’ve been receiving your personal copies of Sommelier India. A new print issue will be reaching you later this month which we’re confident you’ll enjoy. If you aren’t a subscriber, you can subscribe to the magazine right here. Sommelier India makes the perfect gift for anyone who enjoys wine and the wine lifestyle. Give them a subscription to SI and they will remember you all year round. We love hearing about your wine experiences and the wines you’ve been drinking, so keep the letters coming.
Reva K Singh & Shiv B Singh