Did you know that wine is a natural, perishable food product and as a result needs to be stored with the same care and attention as you would take with food? When wine is exposed to heat, light, vibration or fluctuations in temperature and humidity, all types of wine whether it is red, white, sparkling or fortified, can spoil.
On the other hand, if you store your wine properly it can maintain its quality and improve in aroma, flavour and complexity, as the years go by. So if you’re buying expensive wine, think carefully about how you store it. The best temperature for aging wine is 55 °F (13 °C). When you’re storing wine you should keep the following in mind:
1. The cork needs to stay moist
2. The temperature in the room/cellar should stay stable. For perfectly chilled wine every time, consider investing in Wine coolers.
3. The location needs to be free of vibration
4. Other items with strong odors should not be stored in the same area
5. Ideally the storage area should be dark
6. And it should have high humidity
Here in India if you have basement, consider keeping your wines there. Also look into a Haier wine cellar or a Voltas one.