Leading Australian winery, Wolf Blass, has been named International Winemaker of the Year at the 2013 International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC) in London for the third time, writes Reva K Singh. The first was in 1992 and then again in 2002. Left: Chris Hatcher and Steve Frost, Wolf Blass Chief Winemaker and Sr Winemaker, respectively, accepting the award in London
In addition to being named International Winemaker of Year, Wolf Blass bagged four other trophies:
– Australian Producer of the Year
– Best Single Vineyard Red Wine for the Wolf Blass Platinum Label Shiraz 2008
– Best Single Vineyard White Wine for the Wolf Blass White Label Riesling 2001
– Best Riesling for Wolf Blass White Label Riesling 2001
With these awards, Wolf Blass caps an exceptional year on the global wine stage, noted Chief Winemaker, Chris Hatcher. “It is particularly pleasing to receive the highest accolade for our Single Vineyard wines – Platinum Label Shiraz 2008 from our Medlands Estate “Orchard” vineyard and White Label Riesling 2001 from Rogers Block in Eden Valley. Both outstanding expressions of regional excellence,” said Hatcher.
Established in the Barossa Valley in 1966 Wolf Blass has grown from a humble tin shed to become one of the most successful and awarded wine brands. It has piled up more than 3,000 medals and trophies at national and international wine shows, in recognition of the wines’ quality, character and consistency which epitomises the essence of Wolf Blass. Hatcher’s attention to detail in the winery and the tasting room has gone a long way to build the reputation of Wolf Blass Wines.
Other notable awards received by Wolf Blass in 2013
– International Red Winemaker of the Year, International Wine Challenge Lond.
– Winery of the Year at Intervin in Canada
– Best New World Red Wine at the China Wine Challenge
– Australian Producer of the Year at the China Wine and Spirit Awards,
– Best Australian Wine at World Wine Awards Canada
– Best Chardonnay at the Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition
The IWSC was established in 1969 and is considered one of the world’s most prestigious wine competitions with exhibitors from almost 90 countries, boasting of the most qualified and trained group of international judges.