Sommelier India Subscription Offer
SubscribeSubscribeHome NewsSubscribeIndian Wine NewsSubscribeGlobal Wine NewsSubscribeWine EventsSubscribeCommentarySubscribeWines to BuySubscribe Subscribe Subscribe

« Fine Bordeaux wines in India | Home Page | Kumarakom Lake Resort bags award third year in a row! »

Indian Institute of Vine and Wine (IIVW) targets 2009 opening

The Indian Institute of Vine and Wine at Narayangaon is tentatively slated to begin its operations in July 2009, reports Brinda Gill. The institute, India's first wine institute and a non-profit making venture, is being set up on a 60-acre site by Champagne Indage, 80 kms north of Pune, where the company has its sprawling vineyards and winery - the largest wine production facility in India.

Certificate, diploma and degree courses will be offered at the institute. As of now will a total of 600 students will be admitted in the first year. The campus will include classrooms, laboratories, hostels, special experimental vineyards, and a smallscale modern winery especially for students where they can experiment different wine-making techniques. Set in the environs of Champagne Indage's vineyards and winery, the Insitute will give the students an insight into the workings of the industry.

"We aim to offer wine education of international standards. Setting up the institute has been a major decision and we hope our attempt at addressing the needs of the industry will be successful," says Arun Shah, Vice Chairman, Champagne Indage Ltd.

Planning for the institute began three years ago. Having studied the courses offered by different universities abroad, Champagne Indage decided on the University of Adelaide. The content of the oenology course it offers is one of the best in viticulture education and best suited to the Indian wine industry.

"As things stand in the next 10 to 15 years there will be a requirement for about 15,000 trained viticulturists directly involved with the process of wine making and an additional 200,000 people in other related fields in the viticulture industry," says Shah. "As pioneers in the wine industry we strongly believe it is our moral responsibility to address this need and create a backbone of education related to the industry."

With these sentiments Champagne Indage decided to establish the Indian Institute of Vine and Wine in partnership with the University of Adelaide. And with the number of aspirants looking for academic and hands-on education in viticulture in India, Champagne Indage has addressed a long-felt need.

Comments

Siddhant D on July 15, 2008 9:00 PM says

what is the eligibility of a student to get an admission in the institute.
and what are the career opportunities in this field??
i've heard smthin about wine master or wine tester.. can u plss elaborate on this topic fr mee...

Raj on July 19, 2008 5:21 PM says

Dear Sir,

PRADNYA SAwANT on July 27, 2008 7:18 PM says

Dear Sir,

Dayanand Sajjan on July 28, 2008 8:15 PM says

good evening
Why is the state government of Karnataka not taking interest in establishing a wine park and boost to wine industry in north Karnataka, specially Bijapur and Bagalkot as these two districts have large number of grape and pomegranate growers?

rohan anand on August 23, 2008 7:16 PM says

dear sir/mam
can you plz let me know about the fee structure for the course.i would also like to request you to put some light on the partnership with university of adelaide.

Chetan Patil on September 3, 2008 1:45 AM says

Dear sir,what is the eligibility for getting admission in IIVW and what is the selection criteria,offered courses and also please give information about fee structure.

Rajinder Kumar on September 7, 2008 8:23 PM says

Dear Sir/Madam
can you plz let me know about the fee structure for the course.

Nirav on September 14, 2008 8:14 PM says

I am intresting in your course so please give me complete information about your institute and whatS fees of this course.

Satpute Mahesh on October 5, 2008 6:03 PM says

Dear Sir,
Now i'm Studing in last year of B-Tech(Food science and Technology), Parbhani. I want to know what is criteria for getting admission in vine and wine institute. plz. send me information in this regard.

Sankalp Parmar on December 7, 2008 1:20 PM says

Good to hear about new courses starting in India, especially in the field of wine and viticulture. I am a professional with experience in food and beverage industry and my academic qualifications include IHM, Mumbai, 3-yr Management Diploma followed by Bachelor's Degree in Hospitality Management from Wellington Institute, New Zealand. I wish to focus in this specific segment.

Will the study and courses at your institute help me advance my career horizon in the industry? Please advise.

Rajarshi Prosad Choudhury on December 17, 2008 11:08 AM says

I am very interested in the wine courses and want to know what is criteria for getting admission in vine and wine institute. Please send me information in this regard.

Satish on January 4, 2009 4:18 AM says

Bijapur always lack of leadership in estalishing the business.Whole karnataka knows Bijapur is best place to grow grapes.Good joke here is establishing the courses in Dharwad though Bijapur has agriculture college.Govt should not be baised in establishing the business. when I see Napa Valley in California, I always think how unlucky Bijapur people are in getting the business and how poor govt and govt official are in their work and ideology...

Vinod Kumar Joshi (Prof. & Head) on January 11, 2009 8:57 PM says

Congratulations. As a scientist working in the fermentation technology especially enology,it is all the more pleasurable to hear this good news. For the last 20 years or so I have resarch pertaining to enology covering the fruits like apple, peach, plum, pear, strawberry, wild apriocot etc. Why not call this the Indian Institute of Enology or Indian Institute of wine researchon analogy of Australia that you have quoted in the news. I have included some photo as courtsy of Sh Chougle jee.

Lincy on January 27, 2009 10:49 AM says

I want to know the eligibility criteria to pursue a course in this field. Is it possible after BSc in biotechnology

Shiv Singh on January 27, 2009 8:25 PM says

If you're looking for some wine training, try the KBR School of Wine course which is running at the end of this month in Mumbai and mid February in Delhi. More information in this blog post - http://www.sommelierindia.com/blog/2009/01/heres_your_chance_to_learn_abo.html

Lincy on January 29, 2009 9:51 AM says

I thank you for the previous response. But i want to know how to enrol for an MSc program in this institute. And contact information as i'm looking forward to study at this institute.

Devesh Kumar on February 5, 2009 7:28 PM says

Hi could you please tell me what all cources will be offered by this institute and what is the criteria to get into this institue.

ranvir on February 5, 2009 9:11 PM says

please send me information about the courses and it's eligibility for admissions

Lincy on February 6, 2009 8:52 PM says

Can you please send me their contact information?

Rupali Sabnis on February 9, 2009 4:21 PM says

Dear Sir,
I am interested in doing the course. What are the requirements for admission, Course fees, duration of the course with timings and what is the exact location of the institute.

Devesh Kumar on February 10, 2009 12:31 AM says

Please tell me when this institution is going to be operational as I got some info from a wine expert that this is not going to be operational before 2010. Is that true ?

sanan fernandes on February 14, 2009 4:21 AM says

what is the eligibility of a student to get an admission in the institute.And the cources offered
As I am rite now 25 and undergrade
But I have a experence in Hotel (F&B)

pankaj p patil on February 20, 2009 1:58 PM says

sir/madam ,

we are happy to know about iivw,but we want more abot admmission processlike
1)How to apply for the admission
2)What is the fees stucture for post graduation in wine making.
i hope you make my self comfert by providing the information on my email acccount
thanking you
pankaj p.patil
B.tech (Food Tech)
udct nmu jalgaon mh

Nitin Agarwal on February 21, 2009 6:15 PM says

Please let me know the procedure,fee structure and eligibility to join the course.

Regards,
Nitin Agarwal

vishal patil on March 16, 2009 4:46 PM says

Respected sir,
My brother is in 12th std & he wanted to do career in winery field.So,please mail me the address & contacts specialised wine training institute in maharashtra.

Kunal Kapoor on March 21, 2009 12:15 PM says

Dear Sir,
we are happy to know about iivw, but we want to know more about admission process like
1)How to apply for the admission.
2)What is the fees structure for different courses in iivw.
Please tell me when this institution is going to be operational as I got some info from a wine expert that this is not going to be operational before 2010. Is that true?
I hope you make myself comfortable by providing the above information on my email.

Regards,
Kunal Kapoor
9920061858

Ninad Pradhan on April 11, 2009 11:37 AM says

Dear sir/madam,
I work with deGustibus Hospitality Services ltd, Mumbai, as Kitchen Stewarding Supervisor.
I was rweally happy to read about IIVW. Iam very intrested in completing the course.
ButIwant to know more about admission process like
1)How to apply for the admission?
2)What is the fees structure for different courses in IIVW?
3)What is the age criteria?
4)As i am working is there any facitlity for distant education?

Please do the needful.
Thanking You.

Ninad Pradhan

Pallavi Tidke on June 17, 2009 11:28 AM says

Dear Sir,
I am interested in doing the course. I have done PG diploma in wine technology from RYK college Nashik affilated to Pune university.

Regards
Pallavi

Shankar Dighe on July 14, 2009 4:49 PM says

Respected
sir/madam
I has great intrest in wine, so i am inrested in doing course. i am graudated in B.Tech(aricultural engneering) so i want to know
1) which course is suitable to me
2) how to apply,eligibility to join the course
3) what is you procedure
4) what is you fees according to course
5) Duration of course
6) what is the exact location of the institute.

Bandita Bagchi on July 31, 2009 9:49 AM says

dear Sir,
I am a Food Technologist and am keen to do a course on Wine Technology. I wanted to know at what time the admission will start and is their a website of the institute to log in and know all details?

Anon on August 9, 2009 6:27 PM says

People are waiting in anticipation and all their questions are unanswered. Not a good sign. Desperate to know the details of the xx course. I've been listening to this for atleast a couple of years now but it's a shame that none of it is structured yet and the news of the xx institute opening has dragged on. I thnk it's its time, action needs to be taken, questions need to be answered and important information addressed.
Cherrs!!

n.harinath on September 14, 2009 7:48 PM says

dear sir, iam doing agriculture(bsc),i want do pg in vitticulture tell me the information thanking you sir